UTS site search

Relocating to Sydney

Getting Around


Public Transport

Sydney has great transport links using train, bus, light rail and ferry. UTS is an easy walk to the trains at Central Station, Railway Square bus stops and the Light Rail (opens an external site), which links Central Station to Dulwich Hill via several Inner West suburbs. At Transport NSW (opens an external site) you can search for a route, plan a trip, find out when the next transport is due and search maps. All Sydney public transport is now ticket free. To travel on Sydney public transport you must use an Opal (opens an external site) card which you use to tap on and off transport and can top up or set automatic top ups when it runs low. Sydney also has several taxi (opens an external site) companies and Uber (opens an external site).

Moving Train

Driving in NSW

If you’re moving to NSW from another part of Australia or another country, you’ll need to get a NSW driver or rider licence. You can use your existing licence for up to three months provided that your licence is in English or that you hold an official translation. After three months, you must have a NSW licence. You may be required to take a test. NSW Roads & Maritime (opens an external site) has information about licence types and applying for a licence. A drivers licence is also a useful form of ID.

Check the laws and regulations about driving in other states with an overseas licence (opens an external site).



Sydney City Council is developing extensive cycle ways, and secure bike parking sports are located around the city. UTS also offers safe bike parking on campus. For information on cycleways and road rules visit the Sydneycycleways website (opens an external site).